For the first time in 10 years, rain and cool weather forced both commencement ceremonies indoors, but the weather didn’t dampen the enthusiasm of the graduates. Hats flew in celebration at the conclusion of graduation events for both the traditional day and Adult Degree Completion Program, May 4, 2013. DVDs of Baccalaureate and Commencement Exercises are available through the order form linked below.
- The 2013 Baccalaureate Sermon was preached by President J. Cameron West.
Traditional Day Commencement Exercises
- The Class of 2013, Traditional Day Program: List of Graduates 2013 – Day
- The Commencement Address, “Enter to Grow in What?” was delivered by Dr. Thomas Moore, Huntingdon Class of 1973, chancellor, University South Carolina-Upstate.
- The Graduate Address was given by Kayra White, Class of 2013, Psychology, Dothan, Alabama.
- The Margaret Read Scholarship Medal, presented to the graduates who earn the highest grade point average among those in the graduating class, was awarded to Russ Barnwell, Jake Bechert, and Paige Lathem.
- The Loyalty Award, voted upon by members of the senior class, was presented to Jake Bechert.
- The Willard D. Top Award, presented to a graduating senior who exemplifies outstanding commitment to academics and service to Huntingdon College, was presented to Jake Bechert and Paige Lathem.
- Dr. Chad Eggleston, special assistant to the provost, assistant professor of religion, and director of the Staton Center for Learning Enrichment and the Honors Program, was recognized with the Winn and Gordon Chappell Academic Enrichment Award, voted upon by faculty, and the Julia Lightfoot Sellers Award for Excellence in Teaching, voted upon by members of the senior and junior classes as “that member of the teaching faculty who, in their judgment, has done much this year toward inspiring them to nobility of purpose and rekindling within them a deeper desire for learning.”
- Dr. Dennis Herrick, professor of music, was recognized for 25 years of service to the College upon announcing his retirement.
- Dr. John Williams, professor of history, was presented with the Rhoda Ellison Distinguished Faculty Lifetime Service Award, which is given on the occasion of a retiring faculty member who has devoted his or her entire teaching career to serving Huntingdon College students.
Adult Degree Completion Program Commencement Exercises
- The Class of 2013, ADCP: List of Graduates 2013 – ADCP
- The ADCP Commencement Address, “Lessons from a Tree,” was given by Huntingdon College Trustee Lucinda Samford Cannon, president of the W. James Samford Jr. Foundation.
DVD Order Form
- DVD Order Form for Traditional Day Commencement Exercises, ADCP Commencement Exercises, and Baccalaureate