New Attendance Policy
I wish to bring to your attention a change in the attendance policy at Huntingdon College.
The new policy reads as follows:
Attending all classes at Huntingdon College is mandatory. Students are expected to attend all scheduled classes. Repeated unexcused absences shall be penalized, with the precise penalty being left to the individual faculty member, as outlined on the course syllabus.
There is a distinction between excused and unexcused absences. Excused absences should not be expressly penalized and faculty should make reasonable efforts to work with the student to make up missed exams or quizzes. It is the student’s responsibility to catch up on lost material by contacting other students.
Any absence is considered unexcused unless it meets one of the following criteria:
- School sanctioned event at which the student functions as a representative of the College (e.g., athletics, choir, field trip, etc.). Faculty member must be notified in advance.
- Medical reasons. Student must fill out an “Excused Absence Form” and illness must be documented by school nurse or physician.
- Family emergency. Student must fill out an “Excused Absence Form” with the Office of Student Affairs.
- Graduate school or job interview. Student must fill out an “Excused Absence Form” with the Office of Academic Affairs in advance.
- Exceptional cases approved by the Office of Academic Affairs. Student must fill out an “Excused Absence Form” with the Office of Academic Affairs.
What does this new policy mean for you? First, ANY unexcused absence may affect your grade. Second, you should notify your professors of absences for athletics, band, dance, or other school-sanctioned event as early as possible. Third, any absence is considered unexcused unless you fill out an excused absence form. The forms are available in the Office of Student Life, the Office of Academic Affairs, and from Nurse Camilla Irvin.
If you have any questions. Please feel free to contact Dean Fedler or Dean Dudley in the Office of Academic Affairs.