Hawks on the Hill Internship Program
Huntingdon students may complete internships from Goat Hill (Montgomery) to Capitol Hill (Washington, D.C.) working for government offices, officials, or agencies. Some internships are paid, some are not, and some can be completed for credit by fulfilling the criteria necessary in the internship guidelines, available from the Center for Career and Vocation. You may be a student in any major—a chemist could work for the FBI forensics lab; a psychology major might seek placement with the Department of Children and Family Services. Likewise, students of any political affiliation are welcome in the program—all we ask is that you are honest about your political persuasion when you interview for placement.
How to Apply
To find a placement:
- Decide for whom or for which agency you would most like to work.
- Determine if there are internships available in that office by contacting them directly.
- Complete the application process required for internships within that agency or office, determining whether you are working for credit or non-credit (credit will require approval from the Office of Academic Affairs), and whether your internship is paid or unpaid, among other factors.
- Obtain, study, and complete the Internship Education Program Application Packet.
Note: You will be responsible for arranging housing and transportation for internships in D.C. or other areas. Several agencies in the D.C. metropolitan area can help you with these concerns.
The Hawks on the Hill internship program follows a long tradition of internship placements, including:
- Alabama Department of Children’s Affairs
- Alabama Department of Public Health
- Office of the Attorney General of Alabama
- U.S. Senator Jeff Sessions
- U.S. Senator Richard Shelby
- U.S. Representative Sonny Callahan
- U.S. Representative Mike Rogers
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Alabama Senator Roger Bedford
- Alabama Senator Larry Dixon
- Florida Governor Jeb Bush
- Alabama Governor Bob Riley
- The Florida Office of Policy and Budget
- The U.S. Senate
- The U.S. House of Representatives
- The White House