DEMOREST, Ga. - The top-seeded Huntingdon women’s tennis team will make its fourth straight appearance in the Great South Athletic Conference Tournament championship match tomorrow, after defeating Maryville 5-0 in the semifinal round on Saturday at the Burgen Tennis Courts.
With the win, the Lady Hawks improved to 16-4 on the season and will now take on No. 2 seed Agnes Scott on Sunday at 9 a.m.
The Lady Hawks took a quick 3-0 lead after the doubles portion of the match, as they took all three matches in convincing fashion.
At the No. 1 position, the tandem of senior Riley Prescott and freshman Katie Scott defeated Morgan Douglas and Karen Rybolt, 8-5, while at the No. 2 spot, junior Kristi McDaniel and sophomore Kayla Heetland rolled past Maggie Dew and Rachel Hutson, 8-3. The sophomore duo of Madison Jackson and Christian Vick had little trouble with Katie Taylor and Christine Flood, winning 8-0 at the No. 3 spot.
In singles, Huntingdon needed just two wins and it received those quickly from All-GSAC selections Prescott and McDaniel.
At the No. 2 singles spot, Prescott won easily over Dew, 6-0, 6-2, while McDaniel made short work of Hutson, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 3 position.
The winner of the match between the Lady Hawks and the defending champion Scotties will earn the GSAC’s automatic bid to the NCAA Women’s Tennis Tournament, which will begin on May 14.
1. Katie Scott/Riley Prescott (HCW) def. Morgan Douglas/Karen Rybolt (MVC) 8-5
2. Kristi McDaniel/Kayla Heetland (HCW) def. Maggie Dew/Rachel Hutson (MVC) 8-3
3. Madison Jackson/Christian Vick (HCW) def. Katie Taylor/Christine Flood (MVC) 8-0
1. Katie Scott (HCW) vs. Morgan Douglas (MVC), did not finish
2. Riley Prescott (HCW) def. Maggie Dew (MVC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Kristi McDaniel (HCW) def. Rachel Hutson (MVC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Madison Jackson (HCW) vs. Karen Rybolt (MVC), did not finish
5. Kayla Heetland (HCW) vs. Christine Flood (MVC), did not finish
6. Christian Vick (HCW) vs. Hannah Smith (MVC), did not finish