LAGRANGE, Ga. --- Huntingdon College’s women’s tennis team defeated Spelman College, 5-3, in Saturday’s Great South Athletic Conference semifinals contest on LaGrange College’s campus. The Lady Hawks will try to redeem their only GSAC regular-season loss on Sunday, May 1, against number one seeded Agnes Scott College beginning at 3:30 p.m Eastern in the title match.
Spelman held a one point advantage, 2-1, over Huntingdon after doubles competition with Hannah Creamer and Christian Vick recording the Lady Hawks’ only victory, 8-2, at the No. 3 doubles position.
After the early struggles in doubles competition, Huntingdon took a three point lead, 5-2, into the No. 6 singles match. Spleman’s Alana McKinney posted the Jaguars’ only singles' point over Huntingdon’s Kati Bryant, 7-6, 6-2, but the Lady Hawks had already claimed the GSAC semifinals win.
Huntingdon (11-9) is set to play Agnes Scott in the GSAC tournament championship on Sunday, May 1, beginning at 3:30 p.m. Eastern in LaGrange, Georgia. The Lady Hawks look to make the third-time a charm after falling to the Scotties the past two years in the conference title match.
Tennis Match Results
Spelman College vs Huntingdon College
Apr 30, 2011 at LaGrange, GA
Huntingdon College 5, Spelman College 3
1. Katie Scott (HCW) def. Oyewole, Kemi (SPEL) 6-2, 7-6
2. Hannah Creamer (HCW) vs. Holloway, Lauren (SPEL) 5-7, 5-6, unfinished
3. Kristin McDaniel (HCW) def. Ebo, Adamma (SPEL) 6-0, 6-2
4. Christian Vick (HCW) def. Ebo, Adanne (SPEL) 6-4, 6-1
5. Jaclyn Crossman (HCW) def. Davis, Sydney (SPEL) 6-2, 6-0
6. McKinney, Alana (SPEL) def. Kati Bryant (HCW) 7-6, 6-2
1. Oyewole, Kemi/Holloway, Lauren (SPEL) def. Katie Scott/Kristin McDaniel (HCW) 8-4
2. Ebo, Adamma/Ebo, Adanne (SPEL) def. Jaclyn Crossman/Kati Bryant (HCW) 9-8
3. Hannah Creamer/Christian Vick (HCW) def. Davis, Sydney/McKinney, Alana (SPEL) 8-2
Semifinals of the GSAC Championship Tournament
For more GSAC women’s tennis information, visit http://www.lagrangepanthers.com/sports/wten/GSAC_Tournament.