LAGRANGE, Ga. --- Huntingdon College's women's tennis team fell, 5-3, to number one seed Agnes Scott College in Sunday's Great South Athletic Conference championship match in LaGrange, Georgia.
In doubles competition, the top seeded Scotties held the early advantage, 2-1, after winning two of the three doubles' matches over Huntingdon.
Agnes Scott secured their third straight GSAC title by winning three of the singles' matches against the Lady Hawks on Sunday. Huntingdon's Kristin McDaniel and Kati Bryant picked up the Lady Hawks' only two singles' victories from the No. 3 and No. 6 spots, respectively.
The Lady Hawks' (12-9) season ended in the GSAC finals while the Scotties (14-2) won their third straight conference title earning the automatic berth to the NCAA championship tournament.
Tennis Match ResultsHuntingdon College vs Agnes Scott CollegeMay 01, 2011 at LaGrange, GAAgnes Scott College 5, Huntingdon College 3
Singles competition1. Storz, Rachel (ASC) def. Katie Scott (HCW) 6-1, 6-2
2. Herrera, Mariel (ASC) vs. Hannah Creamer (HCW) 6-4, 4-6, unfinished
3. Kristin McDaniel (HCW) def. Mayer, Natalie (ASC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Patton, Danielle (ASC) def. Christian Vick (HCW) 6-4, 6-3
5. Kraus, Hannah (ASC) def. Jaclyn Crossman (HCW) 6-1, 6-1
6. Kati Bryant (HCW) def. Mastmeier, Alexis (ASC) 6-2, 7-6
Doubles competition1. Storz, Rachel/Mayer, Natalie (ASC) def. Katie Scott/Kristin McDaniel (HCW) 8-5
2. Kraus, Hannah/Herrera, Mariel (ASC) def. Jaclyn Crossman/Kati Bryant (HCW) 8-2
3. Hannah Creamer/Christian Vick (HCW) def. Patton, Danielle/Rives, Lauren (ASC) 9-7
Match NotesChampionship match GSAC Championship Tournament
For more information on the GSAC men's tennis championship, visit http://www.greatsouth.org/sports/2010/6/29/SB_0629103732.aspx?path=mten.