A Communication from President West Regarding COVID-19
March 4, 2020
Dear Huntingdon Family,
Because your health and well-being are of paramount importance, and because you may have concerns after hearing news reports about the flu or about the novel coronavirus and resulting illness known as COVID-19, I write to update you regarding Huntingdon precautions that have been established to prevent infection and/or spread of illness in our College community.
Students, faculty, and staff have received several communications intended to raise awareness of the presence of infectious diseases and to provide information about personal actions that can minimize the risk of infection. In addition:
- Residence directors are distributing antibacterial sprays/cleaning agents to each residence hall room and instructing residents on the most effective ways to clean and sanitize surfaces.
- Posters are being placed around campus with the latest information from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) regarding symptoms and prevention of COVID-19.
- Information regarding COVID-19 and related resources will soon be posted on the Huntingdon website.
- The College’s attendance policy (requiring that student-athletes not miss more than 25% of their classes in order to participate in athletics), has been amended to allow for absences related to documented respiratory illnesses. Rather than attending classes, we want you stay in your room or at home and care for yourself rather than risk worsening your illness and/or spreading illness to others. We will send information on the attendance policy separately.
- The Office of Student Affairs has in place a policy to provide care for students who are ill and who are not able to go home. Contact Dean Fran Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- The College’s learning management system, Canvas, provides a ready means for continuing your academic work from your residence hall room or home, in case of illness.
- The Office of Student Health Services remains ready to see any student who has health-related concerns. Email email@example.com for an appointment.
For those of you who are student-athletes, several athletic conferences have issued communications regarding travel for athletic competitions. Each entity is monitoring the latest information from public health officials to determine appropriate action. No modifications to Huntingdon’s scheduled events or travel have been made at this time.
A separate communication regarding Huntingdon Plan travel will follow this communication.
If you plan travel on your own during spring break, consider carefully any travel planned in states or countries with COVID-19 outbreaks—as well as the possibility of delays and quarantines when returning to the United States. You can find information regarding the spread of this illness on the CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
Our primary concern is the health and safety of our community. We will follow advice and directives from our College health partners and from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the Alabama Department of Public Health, the U.S. Department of State, and the World Health Organization. In addition to planning for potential operational impact this semester, we are planning for any contingencies that might affect summer programs.
We remain committed to keeping the Huntingdon family informed as circumstances evolve. Please let us know your questions and concerns by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sincerely your president,
J. Cameron West