Take Note

Fall 2018 Classes Begin August 20

Apply now! See the Office of Admission.

FAQ – Academics

Commencement 2014Q: What is the Registrar’s Office and what do they do?
A: The Registrar’s Office is the place where the records of your academic course work (known as transcripts) are recorded and kept. This office also records and communicates grades, evaluates transfer credits, plans schedules of course offerings, facilitates registration, and enforces academic policy, among a number of other important tasks. If you have questions about your progress toward or requirements for graduation; course registration or withdrawal; transcripts; or transfer, AP, CLEP, or other previously earned credit, see the Registrar’s Office, which is located in the Wilson Building on the main campus. The Registrar’s Office has a number of online resources on their website, as well.

Q: How do I use the College Catalog?
A: The College Catalog published for your year of entry into Huntingdon College outlines your requirements for graduation, course descriptions, academic policies, and other important information pertinent to your enrollment. If academic requirements change for successive years of your enrollment, you will continue to follow the requirements outlined in the Catalog under which you entered. That’s why it’s important to keep your catalog in a safe place and to refer to it often as you plan your course schedules and your journey through graduation.

Q: Do I have to participate in Huntingdon Plan Travel-Study?
A: No, of course not. We believe that study in a different area is such an eye-opening, life-changing experience, we’ve made travel-study a component of the Huntingdon Plan, but participation is purely elective. Huntingdon full-time day students may participate in one travel-study experience through the Huntingdon Plan during their junior or senior years, with most costs included in tuition and fees. If you choose not to participate, the money you have paid into student fees that is allocated for travel-study will not be refunded and cannot be applied toward other academic costs. If you do participate, you will know that the experience itself is priceless.

Q: How do I get an academic adviser?
A: Your academic adviser will be assigned based on your choice of major. If you have more than one major, you will have more than one adviser. If you have not yet declared a major, your adviser will be a trained counselor in the Staton Center for Learning Enrichment.

Q: What do I do if I’m having trouble in one of my classes?
A: First, talk with your instructor so that he or she knows you are concerned about your understanding of the material and your progress in the class. You may also go to the Staton Center for Learning Enrichment for tips on subjects such as study skills or time management; take advantage of the resources in the Center for Writing and Critical Thinking; or speak with your academic adviser. Most importantly: be proactive rather than reactive (in other words, initiate steps to ensure your success as soon as you feel a bit of trouble with a subject, rather than waiting until you’ve gotten a bad grade at the end of the term).

Q: I have been diagnosed with a learning disability. How can I find out about special learning accommodations for which I might qualify?
A: See Disability Services.