TAKE NOTE: Thanksgiving Break, No Classes, Nov. 25–29, Offices Closed, Nov. 27–29


Questions about Residence Life? We have the answers!

RA helping with move-inQ:  Are students required to live on campus?

A: Though we believe strongly in the residential component of Huntingdon College, we understand there are some circumstances under which students would like to apply for off-campus living. Off-campus independent housing is a privilege reserved for those students who have demonstrated through age and achievement a maturity that supports a progression to independence. However, this privilege may be revoked under certain circumstances. When a student has been approved to live off-campus in a residential environment other than with her/his parents, the College reserves the right to require students to return to live on campus if they fail to abide by the Huntingdon College Honor Code and its stated behavioral standards. Students applying to live off-campus must complete and return the Commuter Application to the Office of Student Affairs in The Hut. Students applying to live off-campus must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Student lives in his or her primary residence with parent(s) within 45 miles of the College.
  • Student is over 21 years of age by the start of classes for the semester.
  • Student has completed more than 90 academic hours by August 1 of the year for which s/he is applying.
  • Student is married.
  • Student is pregnant.

Q:  May I purchase a single room?

A:  Students who are sophomores through seniors are eligible to apply for a single room. To encourage residential community, first-year students are not granted single rooms. Exceptions require medical documentation. Single rooms are subject to availability.

Q:  When will I receive my housing assignment?

A:  First-year students will be assigned roommates according to their Campus Residency and Campus Residency License Contract forms. We ask that the students, not the parents, complete these forms so we can better match you with a roommate. Room assignments are made prior to you attending an orientation and are emailed within  each orientation so students can make contact with their new roommates before move-in. Upperclassman students go through a Room Draw process in the spring semester to get their housing assignments for the following year.

Q:  May I bring a pet to campus?

A:  No pets of any kind (including fish) are allowed in the residence halls.

Q:  May I personalize my room?

A:  You may personalize your room as long as furniture and appliances in the residence hall rooms or common areas are not removed or altered. You may not substitute personal furniture for that provided by the College, but you may bring additional furniture if it does not damage the floors, walls, etc. If you choose to hang posters or other decorative pieces, as deemed appropriate by Campus Residency License Contract and the terms of the Residence Contract, any type of adhesive that does not damage or remove paint from the walls can be used. Nothing is to be nailed, screwed, or pasted to the walls, woodwork, or ceilings of the rooms and residences. Students will be charged a fee for any marks that remain on their walls when they check out. Decorative alcoholic paraphernalia (i.e., containers, coolers, neon bar lights, posters, etc.) is not permitted. Paint and wallpaper are prohibited.

Q:  How do I gain access to my residence hall?

A:  Your student ID is also your swipe card for room access.

Q:  When will I receive my laptop?  What comes with it?

A:  New students pick up their personal laptops during Big Red Weekend (Fall) or Orientation/Check-In (Spring). The laptop comes with a carrying case, charger and Internet accessibility. You may bring a printer and printer supplies, or you may purchase printing services from the College Print and Mail Services Center, Roland Student Center.

Q:  When will I receive my parking tag and where do I park?

A:  You may register your car during the first week of classes.

Q:  When will I get my Student I.D., and how do I use it?

A: Your I.D. photo is taken during orientation and you’ll receive your card during Big Red Weekend (Fall) or Orientation/Check-In (Spring). Have your I.D. card with you always. You will use your card to record your attendance in each class; as a declining balance in the dining hall, the Coffee House, or the POD; and as your keyed access to your residence hall, if you are a campus resident. Off-campus, your student I.D. may qualify you for discounts at selected establishments.

Q:  May I purchase a meal plan as a commuter student, or add extra money to my account as a resident?

A: A Commuter Meal Plan, valued at $500, including dining hall meals and Flex Points for use in the Coffee Shop or the POD, is part of your $1,000 Commuter Student Fee. If the first semester of attendance is the fall semester, any unused portion of the Commuter Meal Plan will roll over into the spring semester.

Q:  How do I get involved in a club or organization that interests me?

A:  During the first week of classes, the Office of Student Affairs will offer an Organizational Fair (called the Org Fair), at which many of the clubs and organizations will be represented, and you can sign up to indicate your interest and be notified about meetings. Otherwise, watch for notices from Student Affairs or in the College’s e-newsletter, The Talon. Most clubs and organizations welcome new members at any time. The only organizations that have membership by invitation only are those associated with Greek Life, academic honor societies, and intercollegiate athletic teams.

Q: Will I have a campus mailbox?  How should mail be addressed?

A:  See Mail Services.

Q:  Will I have wireless Internet access?

A:  Huntingdon has wireless internet in each of its residential spaces.

Q:  May I bring a car on campus?  Can I get around town if I don’t have one?

A:  You may bring and park a car on campus. There are no restrictions, as long as you obtain a car tag and park in designated areas only.  If you don’t have a car, the Montgomery Transit System (MTS) operates a bus line that provides transportation throughout the city.

Q:  What do I need to bring if I live on campus?

A:  See What to Bring and consult the Housing Policies page.

Scroll to Top
Close Menu