There are 8 national Greek organizations at Huntingdon College: 4 for men and 4 for women. Greek organizations operate under the general supervision of the Office of Student Affairs, Panhellenic Council, Interfraternity Council, and chapter advisers. Membership is by invitation only. The purpose of Greek Life is to create a better student experience through greater involvement in co-curricular activities and leadership opportunities at Huntingdon College. The mission of Greek Life is to provide an environment that fosters service through civic engagement and community outreach; leadership through campus involvement in other organizations; and scholarship by promoting and rewarding academic excellence.
Greek Life for Women
The Huntingdon College Panhellenic Council serves as the governing body for campus sororities. The HCPC is comprised of an executive board that is selected from qualified candidates representing all four campus sororities: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., Alpha Omicron Pi Fraternity, Chi Omega Fraternity, and Phi Mu Fraternity. The Huntingdon Panhellenic Council is responsible for setting policies and regulations concerning the sorority system. Panhellenic focuses on fostering friendship, promoting shared values and academic excellence, and pursuing leadership roles within chapters, campus, and the community. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. (AKA) is a member of the Southeastern Pan-Hellenic Association and the National Pan-Hellenic Council. AKA does not participate in Huntingdon Panhellenic Council formal recruitment. For more information, contact the Office of Student Affairs.
Greek life for Men
The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is the governing body and official representation of the Huntingdon College fraternity system. The council assists chapters by regulating policies established by the College, individual national organizations, and the IFC. They strive to uphold the mission of Huntingdon College Greek Life by promoting brotherhood among chapters, developing and encouraging leadership, and implementing service and outreach within the community. The Huntingdon College Interfraternity Council is comprised of the men from its member fraternities, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., Sigma Nu, and Sigma Phi Epsilon, and is an affiliate of the Southeastern Interfraternity Conference and North American Interfraternity Conference. Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. was invited to start a chapter on the Huntingdon campus in 2019. Phi Beta Sigma does not participate in fraternity recruitment simultaneously with other Huntingdon fraternities.
Greek Honor Societies
In addition to the Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils, Huntingdon College Greek Life is also home to two Greek honor societies.
- Gamma Sigma Alpha exists to recognize and advance academic excellence as a core value of fraternities and sororities. Initiation into this Greek honorary is by invitation only.
- Order of Omega is a leadership honor society for members of Greek organizations. Order of Omega recognizes juniors and seniors who have exemplified high standards in the areas of scholarship, leadership, and involvement within their respective organizations and within the Greek, campus, and local communities.
Facts about Huntingdon Greek Life
- The All-Greek GPA is above the All-Campus average:
- All Greek GPA, Spring 2020: 3.370
- All Campus GPA, Spring 2020: 3.196
- Greek students are active members of campus life, with involvement including athletic teams, band, Presidential Fellows, Resident Assistants, Orientation Leaders, Huntingdon Ambassadors, Student Recruiters, and a wide range of clubs and organizations.
- Greek organizations completed more than 2,700 hours of community service in 2019.
2020 Greek Recruitment
Recruitment registration for Greek organizations who participate in the Panhellenic and IFC recruitment cycle begins June 1, 2020.
To sign up for Greek recruitment, complete an application linked below.
- Application for Men
- Please contact Joe Thomas ’17, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have questions about the fraternity experience at Huntingdon College.
- Follow the IFC on Instagram for recruitment information and announcements: @huntingdonifc
- Application for Women
- Please contact Kathleen Penney ’15, director of campus activities, email@example.com, for information about women’s Greek life at Huntingdon College.
- Follow the Panhellenic Council on Instagram for recruitment information and announcements: @huntingdonphc
Sorority Recruitment Schedule, Fall 2020
(Times and locations TBD)
- Monday, August 10: Information Session
- Friday, August 14: Last day to sign up for recruitment
- Saturday, August 15: Philanthropy Day
- Sunday, August 16: Sisterhood Day
- Monday, August 17: Preference Day
- Tuesday, August 18: Bid Night
Fraternity Recruitment Schedule, Fall 2020
(Times and locations TBD)
- Monday, August 10: Information Meeting
- Tuesday, August 11: Open House (Tour each organization’s chapter space & meet other members)
- Wednesday, August 12: Beginning of Open Bid Period