TAKE NOTE: New Student Orientation August 4-7, 2022

Making College Affordable

Evening Studies Commencement Financial aid is available to help you realize your dream of completing your degree through the Huntingdon College Evening Bachelor’s Degree program. Depending upon your level of financial need, your enrollment status, and your employer’s benefits, you may qualify to receive:

Financial Aid Eligibility

To be considered for financial aid, you must be:

  1. A U.S. citizen;
  2. Accepted as a degree candidate in the Evening Bachelor’s Degree program; and
  3. Enrolled in at least 6 credit hours (two courses) during any single semester. (Note: You may receive a Pell Grant, if you qualify based on need, when enrolled in only one class, as long as you have not received additional Pell funds in excess of 100 percent of your scheduled award. If you are receiving additional Pell funds, you must be enrolled at least half-time [6 credit hours].)

The Student Financial Services staff will help you through the steps to determine what aid you might qualify to receive.

Applying for Financial Aid

Before applying for financial aid, complete the application and admission process for the Evening Bachelor’s Degree (EBD) at Huntingdon College.

  1. Apply for a Federal Student Aid User ID at https://fsaid.ed.gov so that you can electronically sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you are a dependent student, your parents will need to apply for a separate FSA ID.
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Huntingdon College code is 001019 and must be included on the FAFSA. You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). The SAR indicates your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which Huntingdon will use to calculate your need. Your need determines the financial aid programs for which you may qualify. A copy of your SAR will be sent to the Huntingdon Office of Student Financial Services. Once your enrollment has been verified and your SAR is received in the Office of Student Financial Services, your Financial Aid Package and Award Letter will be prepared and mailed to you.
  3. Note: The federal government sometimes asks for verification of FAFSA information. When this is done, the financial aid award is delayed until supporting documentation (Verification Worksheet, IRS data retrieval/tax return transcript, etc.) is provided to and reviewed by the Office of Student Financial Services.
  4. Accept or reject components of your Award Letter, sign it, and return it to the Office of Student Financial Services.
  5. If you are eligible to receive a student loan (Direct or Direct PLUS) or an Alabama Student Grant, you will be given further instructions about these forms of financial aid.
    1. The Alabama Student Grant requires a separate application. For a grant to be considered payment on your account, you must be issued a formal Financial Aid Award Letter from Huntingdon College.
    2. For a loan to be considered as payment on your account, you must first return the award letter to the Office of Student Financial Services and guarantee the loan by signing the Master Promissory Note and completing Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling at the Department of Education Web site.
  6. Under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), more parents and students will qualify over the next two years for a tax credit, the American Opportunity Tax Credit, to pay for college expenses. The maximum credit is $2,500, of which 40% is refundable. Decreased credits are given for individuals making $80,000 ($160,000 if Married Filing Jointly). You may claim this deduction on your tax return even if you don’t itemize.
  7. Be sure to ask if your employer will provide financial assistance (tuition reimbursement) for tuition, fees, and books (this information is usually available from your employer’s Human Resources Office). Please let our offices know if we can be of assistance with this process.

Important Note

If you presently attend and receive financial aid at another institution and you desire to transfer to Huntingdon College, please be sure that you notify the financial aid office at your previous school that you do not plan to attend in the upcoming semester. This will enable them to cancel your aid at that school so that you may receive aid at Huntingdon. If your previous school draws down loan or grant funds for you, even though you have left, it may delay your receipt of aid at Huntingdon.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What if my parents paid into the Alabama PACT program? Can I use that funding toward my tuition?
    Yes. In order for the College to bill the Alabama PACT program for your tuition costs, you must first complete the Prepaid Tuition Plan Worksheet (see Forms).
  2. If I am eligible for employee tuition reimbursement, how does that work?
    Each employer has a different set of requirements and procedures for tuition reimbursement. Check with your Human Resources Office in order to determine the requirements for your workplace, as well as the procedure by which you can be reimbursed for all or part of your college costs. Be aware that some employers require a commitment to remain at that workplace for a period of time after receiving the benefit; others require a specific grade point average to receive the benefit; etc.
  3. If I do not qualify for a need-based loan based on the FAFSA results, are there other personal loans for which I could apply?
    Yes, you may approach any lender for this purpose. Huntingdon does not have a preferred lender list and is not able to provide information on the private loan process. You can, however, search for lenders in your Web browser to find applicable contact information.
  4. My company laid me off last month, so the tax information I provided on the FAFSA indicates a higher income than I currently have. What should I do?
    Consult the Office of Student Financial Services to file an Unusual Circumstances form. We will work with you to be sure that circumstances relevant to your financial situation are considered in the award process.
  5. Can I pay my tuition by credit card?
    Yes. Credit/Debit payments are only accepted online (choose the “Make An Online Payment” link). Payments are not made in Self Service. We also accept checks, cash, or money orders for account payment.
  6. Do you have a payment plan so that I can pay over the course of a semester?
    There is no payment plan; however, your ability to register and pay by session means that payment is due for each five-week session separately. In effect, this is like an installment plan if you register for all sessions prior to the beginning of a semester.
  7. The federal government has selected my FAFSA for verification. What does this mean? How do I verify the information?
    The government randomly selects a number of FAFSA applications for verification of the information provided and chooses others when more information is needed. Don’t worry—this is a normal and common procedure. In order to complete the verification process, see Verification Packets on the Forms page of this website, and complete the forms appropriate to your status and year of enrollment.

Questions? Contact us!

Whatever your questions, the staff of the Evening Bachelor’s Degree is here to serve you.

Student Financial Services: Brittany Davis
E-mail: sfs@hawks.huntingdon.edu
Phone: (334) 833-4428 | Fax: (334) 833-4235

Scroll to Top
Close Menu