A grip on news in the Huntingdon College family
September 10, 2018
Send us your news at firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Edition: HAWK the VOTE!
Congressional and other elections (gubernatorial, school board, judges, U.S. Senate, local government, etc.) are coming up November 6. Your voice matters! All 435 seats in the House of Representatives and 35 of the 100 seats in the U.S. Senate will be contested in this election. Here is information on registering to vote, getting an absentee ballot, or getting involved in campaigns.
If you are NOT REGISTERED to vote:
- No worries! You may register Thursday, September 13, during lunch hours in the dining hall. When you register, you will choose where you’d like to be registered.
- If you choose to be registered at your Huntingdon address, you can vote on campus November 6 (and in subsequent elections); then switch your registration wherever you move after graduation. Remember you’ll be voting for the candidates who are on this ballot, not for candidates who are in your home precinct, if they differ.
- If you choose to register in your home precinct but can’t get to the polls in that location November 6, you will need to request an absentee ballot after registering.
- Here are the dates by which you must register to vote in order to have your voice heard in the November 6 election (for states other than those listed below, see: https://www.usa.gov/how-to-vote — this site also provides links to register online):
- Alabama: Monday, October 22, 2018
- Florida: Tuesday, October 9, 2018
- Georgia: Tuesday, October 9, 2018
- Louisiana: Tuesday, October 9, 2018, & online by October 16, 2018
- North Carolina: Friday, October 12, 2018
- Tennessee: Tuesday, October 9, 2018
- Texas: Tuesday, October 9, 2018
If you need to request an ABSENTEE BALLOT:
- Absentee ballots allow you to vote for the candidates who are running in your home precinct. If you are registered to vote but can’t get to the polls in your hometown on November 6, you will need to request an absentee ballot. If you register on campus, but with your home precinct, you must wait for your voter registration to go through before requesting your absentee ballot.
- Here are the deadlines by which you must request your absentee ballot.
- Alabama: Thursday, November 1st, 2018
- Florida: Tuesday, November 6, 2018
- Georgia: Friday, November 2, 2018
- Louisiana: Friday, November 2, 2018
- North Carolina: Tuesday, October 30, 2018
- Tennessee: Tuesday, October 30, 2018
- Texas: Friday, October 26, 2018
- Absentee ballots must be postmarked by November 6, 2018.
- To request an absentee ballot or to learn more about absentee voting, go to: https://www.usa.gov/absentee-voting.
If you’d like to get involved in the campaigns, or to know more about the issues:
- A College Democrats interest meeting will be held today (Monday, Sept. 10) at 12:15 p.m. in Flowers 102.
- A College Republicans interest meeting will be held Wednesday, September 12, at 12:15 p.m. in Flowers 102.
- If you can’t make the meeting of choice but are interested, contact senior vice president Anthony Leigh in the Office of College and Alumni Relations.
This information was compiled by Lavia Walker ’19, communications intern, Office of Communications.
Send your news to email@example.com.
The Talon is produced by the Office of Communications and is e-mailed to students, faculty, and staff, and to those parents, friends, neighbors, alumni, and others who have requested to receive it. If you would like to change your e-mail address or be added to or removed from the list, simply send your request to Su Ofe at firstname.lastname@example.org (be sure to include your relationship to the College so that you can be added to or removed from the correct list). The Talon is posted on the College Web site, www.huntingdon.edu.
LIKE Huntingdon on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingdonCollege
Huntingdon College is committed to a policy against legally impermissible, arbitrary, or unreasonable discriminatory practices. For more information, visit www.huntingdon.edu/misconduct.
Suellen (Su) Ofe
for Marketing and Communications
1500 E. Fairview Ave., Montgomery, AL 36106
(334) 833-4515; Cell (334) 324-6591